[ Top ]
What's New
Council Meeting:
January 14, 2011

Les réunions au Conseil:
Le 14 janvier 2011


Complaints & Discipline

Frequently Asked Questions About Complaints and Discipline

This section contains some of the more frequently asked questions about Complaints and Discipline. The College welcomes comments, suggestions and questions from members and from the public. Please write to the College.
Q:  How do I lodge a complaint against a member of the CDTO?
A: If you have a complaint against a member of the CDTO, you may submit your complaint in writing to the College. Please provide the following information:
  • The name(s) of the dental technologist(s) that you wish to complain against
  • A description of your problem (What went wrong, how, where; any available documentation, e.g. prescription, invoice, letter, receipt, etc.)
  • The date the event occurred, subsequent incidents, any corrective measures
  • The name(s) of any dentist or health professional(s) involved, witness(es)
  • The name and address of any other person who may have information.
You must also provide your name, address and contact phone number. The CDTO cannot accept any anonymous or verbal complaints. If you have difficulty putting your thoughts on paper, please call the CDTO at (416) 438-5003 and we will assist you. For more information, refer to the Complaints Process of the CDTO.
Q:  Can I stay anonymous when complaining about an unsupervised laboratory?
A: It is the responsibility of the CDTO to ensure that public safety is not at risk. However, it would be difficult, if not impossible, for the CDTO to obtain a search warrant under the Provincial Offense Act to investigate the case and to determine whether to prosecute the "illegal" practitioner. When the complainant is not identifiable, the CDTO will not be able to proceed with a meaningful investigation of the case. In addition, it is unlikely that a justice of the peace will issue a search warrant for the CDTO investigator to enter premises of an "illegal" practitioner without specific factual and legal details. It must be noted that the prosecution of an "illegal" practitioner, who is not a member of the CDTO, cannot be dealt through the internal CDTO complaints and disciplines process. Such a case must be dealt through the Ontario Divisional Court system.
Q:  I disagree with the decision reached by the Complaints Committee and wish to appeal. How do I go about appealing their decision?
A: You may request a review of the committee's decision by contacting the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board within thirty days after receiving the decision from the committee. The Board may be contacted at 151 Bloor Street West, 9/F, Toronto, ON, M5S 2T5. Their telephone number is (416) 327-8512 and their fax number is (416) 327-8524.
Q:  I am a former RDT but I have since retired from the profession. Can I still receive a complaint and be found liable for the work that I did while I was working as a RDT?
A: Yes, you are liable for work you supervised or completed as a RDT even though you are no longer a member of the CDTO. The proceedings against you would be handled by the CDTO as if you are still a member. The CDTO maintains jurisdiction over work you did as a RDT even after your retirement. It is important to check that your professional liability insurance coverage is adequate.
Q:  Is the result of a disciplinary proceeding against a member public information?
A: According to the Regulated Health Professions Act, the result of every disciplinary and incapacity proceeding against a member within six years is public information. This information is maintained within the Register and is available upon request from the CDTO. However, the result of such proceedings is only released after all appeals have been terminated.
Q:  Does the CDTO Registrar have the right to investigate my practice?
A: According to the Health Professions Procedural Code, s. 75 of the Regulated Health Professions Act, the Registrar may appoint one or more investigators to determine whether a member has committed an act of professional misconduct or is incompetent. The appointment is subject to the approval by the Executive Committee or the request of the Complaints Committee.