[ Top ]
What's New
Council Meeting:
January 14, 2011

Les réunions au Conseil:
Le 14 janvier 2011


Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions About Entry into the Profession

This section contains some of the more frequently asked questions about the Entry into the Profession. The College welcomes comments, suggestions and questions from members and from the public. Please write to the College.
Q:  Can I apply to be a RDT if I received my training in dental technology outside of Canada?
A: Yes, you can apply to the College for entry into the profession if you have: Grade 12 education or equivalent; completed a recognized post-secondary dental technology training program; and completed 1950 hours of practical dental technology experience in Ontario while under the supervision of a RDT or member of the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario (RCDSO).
Q:  I am a registered dental technologist/technician of another province in Canada. Can I transfer my registration from another province to the College of Dental Technologists of Ontario?
A: Unfortunately, the answer is "no" for the time being. The regulation of dental technology is under provincial jurisdiction. Standards of practice vary from province to province. The regulatory Colleges across Canada are now working towards establishing a common standard and the possibility of inter-provincial mobility of dental technologists. For now, all candidates, regardless of prior registration in another province, must successfully complete the Registration Examination and fulfil the 1950-hour practical dental technology experience within Ontario.
Q:  Can I register with the College as a registered dental technologist immediately after my graduation from the George Brown College Dental Technology program?
A: No, you cannot apply for registration until you have completed the Registration Process of the College. This includes academic Qualification Assessment, Eligibility Examination (if deemed necessary), practical experience within Ontario, and the Registration Examination.
Q:&bnsp; I graduated from the George Brown College Dental Technology program in 1994 and completed the 1950 hours of practical experience in dental technology in Ontario in 1996. Can I still apply to sit the College's Registration Examination?
A: Yes, you can. However, you should also submit evidence that you have successfully completed a refresher course approved by the College within 15 months of your application. On fulfilling this requirement, your application will be processed in accordance with the Registration Process of the College.
Q:  I have been a technician working under a RDT for more than four years in Ontario. I have completed grade 12 (or its equivalent), but have no formal, post-secondary dental technology education. Can I apply to become a RDT with the College?
A: Until 1998, the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991 allowed a person with 7800 hours of practical experience in dental technology in Ontario and grade 12 or equivalent education to apply and write the Registration Examination. Unfortunately, starting from the 1999 Registration Examination, this transitional measure no longer applies. All applicants must now have grade 12 education or equivalent, formal post-secondary education in dental technology, and 1950 hours of supervised practical dental technology experience.
Q:  I have successfully completed the Registration Examination offered by the College. Can I operate my own laboratory and work independent of a RDT or dentist supervision now?
A: No, you must first apply to the College for a General Certificate of Registration. To be registered, you must show:
  • Proof of professional liability insurance coverage to a minimum amount of $500,000.
  • No finding or current proceeding of professional misconduct against you in Ontario or any other jurisdiction.
  • No conviction or charges of an offence that would affect your fitness to practise within the jurisdiction of Ontario or any other jurisdiction.
You will be issued the Certificate of Registration only after you have completed the application and completed the jurisprudence course offered by the College. After receiving the Certificate from the College, you may then operate your own laboratory and work independently using the title "dental technologist" or RDT.