[ Top ]
What's New
Council Meeting:
January 14, 2011

Les réunions au Conseil:
Le 14 janvier 2011


Get the latest version of Adobe Reader here
CDTO Registration

Frequently Asked Questions About Registration

This section contains some of the more frequently asked questions about Registration. The College welcomes comments, suggestions and questions from members and from the public. Please foward your questions to the College.

* (PDF files)PDF document

Q:  I have recently moved my laboratory to another location, how do I inform the CDTO of the change of address?
A: If your laboratory name and the owner of the laboratory did not change, you need to complete the Notification of Changes form* and send it to the CDTO by registered mail. The CDTO must be notified of such a change within 7 days.
Q:  I have recently become the owner of a laboratory, how do I inform the CDTO?
A: Complete and return to the CDTO the Notification of Changes form*. Also enclose a copy of the original Master Business License issued by the Ontario Ministry of Consumer and Commercial Relations. All these documents must be sent by registered mail to the CDTO within 7 days of the change.
Q: Do I need to inform the CDTO if my home address changes?
A: Yes, you must inform the CDTO by registered mail within 7 days of the address change. Complete the Notification of Changes form* and return it to CDTO.
Q: I am currently holding an Inactive Certificate from the CDTO. Can I continue to practise dental technology?
A: According to Ontario Regulations 874/93 section 9(2), an inactive member is not allowed to practise as a dental technologist in Ontario, that is to "design, construct, repair or alteration of dental prosthetic, restorative and orthodontic devices." However, inactive members may continue to hold and use the title of RDT.
Q: I have been holding an Inactive Certificate of Registration for a number of years, and I wish to switch back to a General Certificate. How can I do this?
A: If you have been an inactive member for less than three years, you may apply to the CDTO's Registration Committee for the issuance of a General Certificate. However, if it has been more than 3 years since you began holding the Inactive Certificate, you must complete a refresher course and successfully complete the examinations set or approved by the CDTO within 15 months before your application for reinstatement as a General member.
Q: Do I need professional liability insurance if I am not supervising a laboratory?
A: All General Certificate members are required to maintain professional liability insurance, irrespective of whether they supervise a laboratory (O. Reg. 874/93, s. 16). The insurance is required so that the public may be compensated if they suffer harm as a result of a RDT's negligence, errors or omissions when performing the scope of dental technology practice.
Q: My laboratory has liability insurance. Can I use that as my professional liability insurance?
A: No. The commercial or office liability insurance of your laboratory does not cover you as a healthcare professional. It normally covers the business as a distinct entity. Your professional liability insurance must be issued in your registered name and cover your practice as a dental technologist.
Q: Should I purchase professional liability insurance that covers me against legal actions even after my retirement from the profession?
A: The legislation and regulations only require you to have professional liability insurance while you are still a RDT. However, it may be in your interest to continue the coverage even after you retire from the profession since you are liable for the work you did when you were a RDT. The CDTO maintains jurisdiction over you for the period of time you worked as a RDT.
Q: Can I practise dental technology anywhere in Canada once I am registered with the CDTO?
A: The CDTO is only responsible for regulating the dental technology profession within the province of Ontario. Other provinces have their own practice standards and regulatory bodies. If you wish to practise in another province, consult the legislation of the province in question and obtain advice from the provincial regulatory body and/or association.
Q: Can I hold onto my General Certificate of Registration when I move to another province or country?
A: Yes, you can retain your General Certificate of Registration if you undertake to sign an agreement with the CDTO. Contact the Registrar for details of the agreement.