FAQs – Members

Professional Corporations FAQs


What is a professional corporation?

A professional corporation is one or more professionals practising the profession that they are registered to practise as a representative of a corporation.


Who can register with the College as a professional corporation?

Any member who is registered with the College is eligible to obtain a certificate of authorization (i.e. a certificate of registration for a professional corporation). However, if the member’s business is not yet incorporated in Ontario, the member will have to incorporate under the Ontario Business Corporations Act, 1990 (refer to the website of the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services for details on this process), prior to obtaining a certificate of authorization.

What activities can a professional corporation undertake?

A professional corporation can only practise the profession that its shareholder(s) are registered to practise. For example, a dental technologist wishing to incorporate can only practise dental technology with other dental technologists in a professional corporation. Professional corporations are also allowed to engage in activities that support their operation, such as the investment of surplus funds.


What is the ownership structure of a professional corporation?

All of the directors of the professional corporation must be shareholders of it, and all shareholders must be members of the same health profession. For example, the only individuals who can hold shares in a dental technology professional corporation are registered dental technologists.

Do I have to register my existing corporation as a professional corporation?

Yes. Dental technologists operating through a regular business corporation will need to convert their business to a professional corporation in order to comply with the College’s requirements and the requirements of the Regulated Health Professions Act. Professional corporations are held to the same standards as any other member of the College.

Do I have to practise through a professional corporation?

No. You can choose to practise dental technology through a non-corporate structure (e.g., sole proprietor, partnership, etc.). However, if you choose to practise the profession through a corporation, it must be a dental technology professional corporation.

What fees are associated with obtaining a certificate of authorization?

There is an application fee and an annual fee to maintain a certificate of authorization. The annual fee is not pro-rated. See Schedule 5 Fees – 2017-2018 for fee information.

How do I register as a professional corporation?

To apply for a certificate of authorization, download and complete a copy of the Application for a Certificate of Authorization for a Professional Corporation, print and mail it to:

Registration Department
College of Dental Technologists of Ontario
2100 Ellesmere Road, Suite 300
Scarborough, ON M1H 3B7

Members applying for a certificate of authorization are required to submit:

  • a completed application form,
  • an application fee, and
  • a copy of a corporation profile report, issued by the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services, or a service provider contracted by the Ministry, not more than 30 days before the application is submitted to the College, indicating that the corporation is active.

In order to obtain an initial certificate of authorization, the member submitting the application on behalf of the corporation must comply with certain requirements, including:

  1. Corporate Name
  • The corporation cannot have a number nameThe corporate name must include the words “Professional Corporation” or “société Professionelle”
  • The corporate name must include the surname of one or more shareholders of the corporation as the surname is set out in the Public Register of Dental Technologists
  • The corporate name may also include the shareholder’s given name, one or more of the shareholder’s initials or a combination of his or her given name and initials
  • The corporate name must indicate the health profession practised by the shareholders (i.e. dental technology)
  • The corporate name must not include any information other than that permitted or required under the Business Corporations Act or the O. Reg 39/02, s. (2)-(5)

Professional corporations are not required to use the corporate name as the name of the practice. However, any material (letterhead, invoices, etc.) that includes the practice name must also have the corporate name on it if the two are different. Owners of professional corporations must inform the College of every practice name under which the professional corporation operates.

  1. Applicant Declaration

On the application form for a certificate of authorization, the applicant applying on behalf of the professional corporation must:

  • Be a member of the College of Dental Technologists of Ontario
  • Provide the corporate name, the corporation number, the practice name (if applicable) and the contact information for the corporation
  • Declare that the corporation is incorporated under the Ontario Business Corporations Act
  • Declare that there has been no change in corporation status since the date the corporation profile report  was issued (30 days before the submission of the application)
  • List all of the shareholders of the professional corporation, their College registration numbers, business address, business phone number and email. This section also applies to all shareholders of any holding company that wishes to own shares in the professional corporation
  • List all of the directors and officers (who must be shareholders) and declare whether or not they are a director or an officer
  • List the practice location(s) if different from the corporate address
  • List all of the additional activities permitted under the corporation’s articles of incorporation
  1. Undertaking
  • Each shareholder of the professional corporation, including shareholders of any holding company, must sign and date this section confirming that the College will be notified of any changes that occur and promising to comply with the professional corporation requirements.
  1. Declaration
  • The declaration must be completed by a director of the corporation and cannot be signed more than 15 days before the application is submitted to the College. The application must also include a copy of the certificate of incorporation of the corporation (including the articles of incorporation), and a copy of every certificate of the corporation that has been endorsed under the Ontario Business Corporations Act as of the day the application is submitted (if applicable).

Why do I have to pay a separate fee for a certificate of authorization and for a certificate of registration?

The College requires an additional process for the review of applications for certificates of authorization. The College is required to record and monitor substantial amounts of information on professional corporations that differs from the information recorded and monitored for individual members. Separate processes are also required for record keeping and addressing any complaints about the professional corporation. Council has determined that only those members who are part of a professional corporation should bear the cost of registering them. 

What are the advantages of practising through a professional corporation?

The advantages and disadvantages of practising through a professional corporation depend on your particular circumstances. The College cannot give legal or business advice to members. Speak with your own legal and financial consultants.

Quality Assurance FAQs


I am an RDT holding a general certificate with the College, but I am close to retirement. Can I be exempt from the Quality Assurance Program?

No, all members of the College holding a General Certificate of Registration must comply with the Quality Assurance Program (QAP) without exception.

I have accumulated more than ninety credits in my three-year cycle, can I carry the extra credits over to the next three-year cycle?

No. The credit point system is designed to encourage continuous and varied professional development activity in every year of an RDT’s career. Carrying over credits from a previous year’s activities is not in keeping with the intent of the program.

I work in a small community and am concerned that an assessor may be one of my competitors. How can I comply with the requirements of the QAP without giving them access to commercially sensitive information?

The College provides all assessors with the names of those RDTs they will be assessing during the Peer and Practice Assessment period. If an assessor believes that a conflict of interest exists, they must declare it to the College and an alternative assessor will be selected to conduct the Assessment.

Additionally, all RDTs selected for a Peer and Practice Assessment are provided with the name of their Assessor prior to the assessment. RDTs who have concerns about the assessor assigned to them can contact the Coordinator, Quality Assurance.

All Peer Assessors, the Quality Assurance Committee and College staff are bound by strict confidentiality rules under the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991 that prevent public release or use of information gained through the QAP program for any purpose other than the administration of the program.

For more information on the College of Dental Technologists of Ontario: